Installation Questions from the FAQ
Which platforms does Open Rails run on?
Open Rails works well on Windows PCs from Windows XP* onwards (including Windows 10). It does not work on Windows XBox, Windows Phone or non-Windows platforms.
* Windows XP requires Service Pack 3 (SP3).
32-bit or 64-bit Windows?
Open Rails is currently a 32-bit program that will run on either 32-bit Windows or 64-bit Windows. When run on a 64-bit Windows system there are some benefits as follows.
Programs compiled for 32-bit Windows are always limited to using a maximum of 2GB of memory. Many current PCs, especially 64-bit systems, have more than this. Fortunately it is possible to compile a program, for 64-bit systems only, which can use up to 4GB of memory and this is called a Large Address Aware (LAA) option. The downloads include both the usual version and the LAA version and you choose between them in the Options form.
What hardware does Open Rails require?
- Processor : 2.0 GHz (32 or 64-bit)
- Memory : minimum = 0.5 GB, recommended = 2 GB
- Hard drive : 40 MB (but models require lots of space. The 6 routes in Microsoft Train Simulator require 1.4 GB)
- Graphics Hardware : minimum = 128 MB dedicated video RAM with Pixel Shader 2.0, recommended = 256 MB RAM with Pixel Shader 3.0
- Graphics Software : as provided by Windows. Open Rails currently uses DirectX® - version 9.0c
- Sound : compatible with DirectX® - version 9.0c
Do I need Microsoft Train Simulator installed to use Open Rails?
You do not need Microsoft Train Simulator installed in order to use Open Rails.
When Microsoft Train Simulator is installed, then Open Rails can safely make use of all the Microsoft Train Simulator content as it does not change any Microsoft Train Simulator files.
Most non-Microsoft Train Simulator routes, activities and rolling stock make use of some Microsoft Train Simulator content, usually sound files, textures and cab interiors. If products designed for Microsoft Train Simulator are used on a PC with Open Rails but not Microsoft Train Simulator, then they are likely to work but some sounds and textures will be missing. Such files will be listed with warnings in the Open Rails log file.
How can I recognise add-on products for Microsoft Train Simulator that require Microsoft Train Simulator files?
Add-ons designed for Microsoft Train Simulator may rely on files from the Microsoft Train Simulator product. For instance:
- Routes provided with an Install.bat file that copies shapes and textures from the routes on the Microsoft Train Simulator CDs.
- Locomotives that re-use cabviews or sounds from the locomotives on the Microsoft Train Simulator CDs (see folder TRAINSET).
- Rolling stock that have sound management (SMS) files that refer to wave files from the Microsoft Train Simulator CDs (see folder SOUND).
If I install Open Rails, will it change my Microsoft Train Simulator files?
No, Open Rails does not modify any Microsoft Train Simulator files.
Does Open Rails suppport RailDriver?
Yes; this cab controller from P.I.Engineering is suitable for Open Rails and support for it is built in to the simulator. Installation instructions are included in the installation download (and also from this webpage).
Eric Conrad has posted a detailed review on his MSTS Roundhouse blog which provides valuable advice for using this product.
Does Open Rails report data back to its creators?
Not at the moment. Data on how Open Rails is used will be very helpful for the project but, if we wish to collect usage data, we will inform you
beforehand and you will always be able to opt out.
Recent Code Changes
- X1.3.1-52-gc441fa37 Merge pull request #52 from perpetualKid/Bugfix-OAL-Config-init
Removing check and empty file creation re OpenAl.
- 198e4f19 Removing separate File Creation
In some cases there seem a race condition to happen when the file is new created, setting the initial value would not be honored before second start of the game.
As WritePrivateProfileString will also just create the file if not existing, the prior check and creation is not necessary
- X1.3.1-51-g2dd5a940 Merge pull request #21 from Roeterdink/TimetableUpdate190227
Timetable Update, including starting in paused state.
- 1c7d2897 * Timetable Update, including starting in paused state - reviewed update.
bug report no. 1817878
- fcfc8a52 Update Source/Orts.Simulation/Simulation/Timetables/TTTrain.cs
Co-Authored-By: Roeterdink <47360654+Roeterdink@users.noreply.github.com>
- 113f77fe Timetable Update, including starting in paused state.
bug report no. 1817878
- X1.3.1-50-g74fa3003 Merge pull request #50 from perpetualKid/OAL-Re-Integration
Build: OpenAL binary re-integration with updated default settings
- cbccf697 Checking and updating default max # of sound sources for OAL
Checking if number of sound sources is et at all. If not, or less than 1024, config will be updated to 1024
- aac99a68 Providing and Loading OAL binaries
- adding OAL binaries to source tree (version 1.16.0)
- including OAL binaries in OR program output
- removing OAL installation check in Launcher, checking for binaries only in OR program subfolder
- 51d2309a Remove stale OpenAL source code in favor of prebuilt binaries
Removing stale sour code from openal-soft, which was used for custom build version. We will rather use prebuilt binaries from offical openal-soft source, and provide suitable config settings for same limits as were hardcoded in custom built
- daab1d51 Set architecture specific dll (sub) directory
- X1.3.1-49-ga051806c Merge pull request #48 from perpetualKid/Refactoring/UserCommands
Moving UserCommands from InputSettings into Common/Input
- 0558906f Remove and Sort namespace usings
Sort as per review request, using VS Remove and Sort refactoring functionality
- 34971139 Moving UserCommands into Common/Input
correcting enum name and move out from InputSettings to Orts.Common.Input
This is a prep for RD and other input
- X1.3.1-48-g54ecc9ea Merge pull request #47 from perpetualKid/Sourcetree-cleanup
Build: Cleanup unused projects
- 9c5cae47 Cleanup unused projects
- X1.3.1-47-g1a16e288 Merge pull request #49 from cjakeman2/webpage-update
add Broad Gauge Productions to Trade webpage
- ae606cf4 add Broad Gauge Productions to Trade webpage
See more code changes
Note: No installation is necessary and multiple versions of Open Rails can co-exist in different folders.
The built-in updater checks this website for new updates once per day. The testing version is updated once per week, usually on Friday around 7pm UK time.
To support development, the latest unstable version is also available, which is updated as and when we make changes to it. Previous unstable versions are available. The unstable versions are more likely to contain serious bugs and are only recommended for users wishing to help with Open Rails development.